The Name Game

We all did it as girls growing up- named our unborn/ not conceived (no husband or prospects involved) children. Maybe not all girls, but I am going to say the majority. Especially if you were like me who played with her baby dolls every day and dreamed of being a mommy one day. Anyway, I didn’t put much thought into the fact that there would be another person involved in the decision making process. This has put quite the damper on finding a name for our baby boy. Our conversations thus far have pretty much gone like this: Me: “How about (insert name here)? That’s cute!” Paul: “No, I knew a boy who lived in the trailer park in elementary school with that name.” I mean, REALLY? (Surely that means if we name our child that he will end up living in the trailer park). But, I just move on to the next name on my list and so far have just gotten, “No.” Yet, Paul has no suggestions...hmm…this could take a while folks. Right now my position on the name is that I don’t want to share it until the baby is born. This is for a few reasons number 1- People have opinions that are not always kind. I want to name this baby what WE want to, not because someone else likes the name; 2- I think it is special to have something that Paul and I can talk about and share JUST with each other; 3- For the people who have the unkind opinions, it is a lot harder to share them when you are staring at the precious miracle of a newborn baby. So, for now, I am still referring to him as “Baby DuRant”.

In other news, I think we may have a future field goal kicker or soccer star on our hands. (Football is more dangerous, but he would probably make more money, whereas soccer players tend to be more attractive, but he probably couldn’t make a career of it.) Anyway, I digress. I have been very pleasantly surprised that I have been able to feel him moving and kicking so early. Last night as we were lying in bed he started moving and kicking like crazy. I put Paul’s hand on my stomach where he was moving, because I thought just maybe he would be able to feel it.  Surely it was too early for him to feel this on the outside, but it felt pretty strong.  As soon as I was about to say, “Did you feel that??” he looked at me and smiled and said, “I felt him!” It was such a special moment. I was happy that he was able to feel these movements that I have been telling him about. Keep kicking buddy, I love every minute of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips