Home Tour: The Kitchen

I LOVE how our kitchen turned out.  We probably had the hardest time getting everything in the kitchen to come together.  First of all we had an issue with the cabinets.  We kept going back and forth on having them site built or not.  After going back and forth with a cabinet company (that I was less than impressed with), we decided just to have our trim guy build our cabinets as well.  I am so glad that he did, and I think we ended up with a much better product.  I love how they go all the way to the ceiling, and the trim is gorgeous.




This is our desk area with built in mail slots.  I thought about cleaning those out before I took these pictures, but you know what- this is real life.  That is our area to stick bills and other junk to get it out of the way and off the counter.



I hung a little fishing line and got some clothes pins so I had a place to display the kids' artwork and hang invitations or appointment reminders.  Brady loves seeing his work on display.  He points it out to me often. "I made that picture for you momma."  So sweet!  (Yes, I know there is still an Easter picture up there.  The kids are not in school right now, so we are running a little low on the new artwork.)



 I knew I wanted white glazed cabinets, and these could not have turned out better.  When I saw them without the glaze I second guessed whether I wanted to do it, but I think it turned out great!



I love this fruit bowl that we got off our Pottery Barn registry when we got married.  I knew I wanted a little pop of color with our back splash, but nothing too crazy so I think these subway tiles work great.  Simple and classy, but they add a little something extra.


I also knew I wanted to have a little contrast in the colors and do the island a darker color than the cabinets.  We went with Sherwin William's Gauntlet Gray.  We used it on our interior doors as well.  


The granite was another adventure. Who knew buying granite was so cut throat.  I was getting so annoyed with the process.  Tip to people on the search for granite: if you find something you like buy it IMMEDIATELY.  I would find a slab that I liked, and by the time we would tell the supplier that we wanted it, it would already be sold.  White granite that is not super expensive is very hard to find. By suggestion of our decorator, we went to Charleston where there was a big warehouse.  I will give credit to Brady for finding this granite as he ran off while we were looking around.  Paul chased after him and found this slab.  It was exactly what I was looking for and in our price range!  


The bar stools are from Restoration Hardware.  We picked those up when they were having a sale.



We didn't go crazy on appliances.  They are all Kenmore Elite brand from Sears, and they work great.  I'm so happy with how it all turned out!

4 comments:

  1. Your kitchen is gorgeous!! I love how open and light it is! Thanks for linking up with me - I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen is gorgeous!! You did such a great job and I love that subway tile backsplash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I envision when I think of my dream kitchen. Open concept, white cabinets, light colored granite. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips