Splurge vs. Save

I am a self proclaimed shopaholic.  I just can't help it.  Clothes are just one of those things that make me happy.  I do, however, feel like I am a savvy shopper.  I like to buy quality items and will spend a little extra to get the quality, but I almost always only buy sale items.  These days I mostly just shop online as I don't really have time to physically go shopping.  I know we all get overwhelmed by all the sale emails.  I have an old email address that is specifically for "junk" mail.  I check it to see what sales are going on etc, but all the promotions don't over flow my important emails.

My brother's super smart girlfriend has also come up with a pretty cool app that helps you keep track of all the sales going on.  It is called Dote, and if you like to shop at places like JCrew, Anthropology, Lululemon (and several others) then you need to download it ASAP.  It uses the same idea as Tinder (for those of you who know what that is....this was after my single days, but I have friends who use it.)  Basically you can scan through all the items at these stores and swipe left if you don't like the item and swipe right if you do.  All your "swiped right" items are placed in your favorites.  It will then update you when they go on sale, and you can actually purchase the items from the app (it directs you to the retailer's page).  I highly suggest you check it out.  It is addictive.

So while I love a good deal, there are some items I think are worth the splurge and some that are not.

Splurge

1. JEANS If there is one item that I will always suggest going for a designer brand at a slightly higher price tag, it is for a good pair of jeans.  I still have some jeans from high school that I still wear.  If you get a good pair, they can last forever and they just look and fit so much better.  I got these Hudson Jeans (currently on sale) during the Nordstrom Anniversary sale, and I love them.  I will wear them for years to come.



2. Neutral Flats- I own two pairs of Tory Burch flats and wear them to work probably 3 days of the week.  I know they are on the pricier side, but when you wear them that often it's worth it.  They just look so classy and hold up well.  You can get them on sale if you are patient.  I just got the nude pair during Tory's friends and fans event.  I have had the black pair for several years.





3. Handbags-  I have made the mistake of trying to purchase a "knock off" version of designer handbags, and I am always disappointed.  My go-to everyday handbag designer is Kate Spade. I am one that will carry a purse forever (mainly because I am too lazy to switch it out), so spending a little extra is worth it for the look and quality.  I got my most recent one during a surprise sale which are always the best- up to 75% off!  The one I bought is no longer available, but these are a few of my favorites:

On sale!


charles street brantley

Save

1. T-shirts- I know there are some who swear by $100 t-shirts, but I just can't do it.  I will admit some of my favorite t-shirts are from Target.  My max is going to be about $20 for a plain t-shirt.


2. Accessories- I am talking scarves, costume jewelry, etc.  There are so many cute options for affordable prices that I just don't see spending a fortune on these things.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Just the Thing

Just the Thing

3. Shoes- There are some shoes that I will splurge on, but for the most part I can find cute, good quality shoes at a reasonable price.  I would much rather spend my money on a cute dress or top than shoes.  

On major sale!


pumps


suede boots

What do you think is worth the splurge, and what would you rather save your money on?


I am linking up with Natalie and Annie for Thoughts for Thursday.

5 comments:

  1. We sound like we have similar shopping habits. I'm a shopaholic as well but my husband has nipped that in the bud. I prefer to spend more on quality but I never pay full price. I love designer jeans too but every pair I've ever bought was on sale. I agree about about not buying expensive t shirts. I've seen the designer ones and they don't seem any different than Target's. In fact they seem thinner a lot of times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!! I need to invest in a new pair of "good" jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also go for cheaper shoes, too... and do people really pay $100 for a t-shirt?!? That seems crazy to me! One splurge I know I need to make is on jeans. I've yet to do it but I just need to bite the bullet already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this.... and my kate spade purse is one of my faves.... I splurge on shoes though as I have sensitive feet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more with your splurge and saves choices. I like to think I am a savvy shopper too, but definitely a shopaholic! That app sounds awesome and I need to download it, thanks for sharing girlie!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips