"Where were you when the world stopped turning, that September day?"

I can remember it like it was yesterday.  I was a freshman in high school.  I had weight lifting 1st period where there was no access to the TV. (Before you bust out laughing that I took weight lifting, it was an option to take instead of regular "PE" if you played a sport.  My sport was cheerleading- yes it's a sport.  I opted to be the weight lifting coach's assistant, therefore maybe dressed out and actually worked out one time.  I took weight lifting every year after that.)  Anyway, I walked into the common area after weight lifting like I did every day.  Although today it was different.  People were crying; there was a lot of quiet chatter.  Finally a friend approached and asked if I heard what happened.  I was clueless.  Then, they told me the dreaded news, a plane had hit one of the twin towers.

Although, at this point we did not know that it was a terrorist attack.  There was a lot of speculation about what could possibly be happening.  Maybe a plane malfunctioned?  Maybe it WAS a terrorist attack?  I went on to 2nd period which was Spanish.  At this point every classroom had the TV turned on to the news.  We were not doing any work, but instead just glued to the television waiting to see if any more information would come through telling us what happened.  Not too long after, we saw the second plane heading straight towards the second building.  Seconds later, the building was up in smoke.  At that moment I knew, we were under attack.  We just sat there in silence.  How could this be happening?  How could someone be so cruel enough to want to kill innocent people simply because we are American.  The rest of the day was the same.  We watched the towers fall.  We watched people running frantic in the streets covered in soot.  Some students' parents came to pick them up.  I think it was just that everyone wanted to hold their family tight, count our blessings that we are still here. 

I did not know anyone personally who was killed in the tragedy, but I still felt so personally connected to those people.  I was only 15 and for the first time I felt fear just BEING in my country.  I still get nervous every time I travel on an airplane.  I can't help but think about what happened, and how terrified those passengers must of been.  We can't forget about the brave passengers on one of the other planes that took matters into their own hands and crashed the plane that was supposed to be headed to the White House.

I can't say enough how thankful I am for our Military that fights for our freedom everyday.  Also, the policemen and firefighters in NY on that day are braver than I could ever hope to be.  I am proud to be an American.  This day especially I just want to say THANK YOU to all of those service men and women that have given their lives to protect ME and my country.

I really can't believe it has been 11 years since this horrible attack.  Last year on this day I was laying in a hospital bed watching the news coverage trying to keep Brady cooking a little longer.  What were you doing 11 years ago when the towers were attacked?  It is certainly a day in my life that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips