I am a working mom

I know most of you are probably aware of this, but I wanted to share my thoughts on what it is really like to be a working mom.  First of all let me just say that I don't feel strongly either way whether one decides to continue working after they have children, or they decide stay home.  I think it is a personal decision and every family should make the decision that is best for them.  I'm not going to lie, after Brady was born I begged Paul to let me stay home, I cried, I complained, but it just wasn't feasible. I don't think men fully understand the attachment that is there between a mother and her baby.  I carried that baby around everywhere I went for 9 months.  It is the absolute hardest thing I have ever had to do, to leave my baby for the first time and return to work.  It doesn't get easier the second time either.  I went through the same phases, I cried, I complained, all I wanted to do was be with my baby.  But now, I am happy with my decision.  Are their still times when I feel guilty that I am not with them? Yes. Are their still moments when I am jealous of stay at home moms posting pictures of the fun things they are doing with their kids on Facebook and Instagram?  Yes.

But, I also sympathize with those moms.  I know how HARD it is to be your kids 24/7.  You love them unconditionally, but sometimes you just need a break.  I'll admit, working is much more relaxing than being at home all day.  Of course, there are added pressures of being successful at work AND at home, but I get to have adult conversations.  I get to feel like I am contributing to my family on more levels.  I get to take advantage of the degree that I worked so hard to acheive.  We can have a nicer house and provide nicer things for our kids. I have a break from the HARDEST JOB there is, parenting. I feel like this makes me a better mom and wife, and I know that my kids are well taken care of.

Brady stayed home with a nanny his first year, and I am so thankful he had that time.  But, at the end of that year he was ready to get out.  He wanted interaction with other kids.  While I have hated the constant sickness that comes along with pre-school, I think it is the best decision we have made.  He absolutely loves going to school and has learned so much since he started.  I honestly think they need a break from us as well.  They need to learn from playing with their peers and learn to take instruction from adults other than their parents.

In a perfect world- I would have loved to stay with my children for their first year.  While I didnt have a whole year, I was lucky enough to have almost 5 months off with both of my children.  I really don't think I could go back before then, and I feel for those moms whose jobs don't allow that.  12 weeks is just simply not enough time with your newborn baby.  They are still SO new then, and they still need their moms so badly.  Those 4-5 months flew by so fast and as the day of my return to work crept closer I was an emotional wreck, both times. I am also lucky that I have a flexible job that allows me to work from home when my kids are sick, and allows me to leave early to pick them up.  I never thought I would like having to work after "work hours", but honestly I do a lot of my business at home after my kids go to bed and that works for me.  It allows me to pick them up from school, play in the afternoons, feed them dinner, give them baths, read books, and tuck them in bed.  After they are sound asleep, I can put my "working hat" back on, and I haven't missed out on any special time with them.

Both of my parents worked growing up, and I never felt like I didnt get to see them enough or that they weren't there for me.  I know Brady and Katelyn won't think that either.  They will hopefully appreciate the sacrifies that we have made to provide the best life for them. I hope that we are setting an example for them that you work hard to acheive things in life.  In the end this is all for them.




2 comments:

  1. I love love love this :) Great post Mere and all those pics of the fam are beyond amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your honesty! I've gone back and forth between staying home and working and now stay at home again and still don't know what the "right" solution is for our family! Your children are adorable by the way! (And my youngest is in that same bubble today!)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips